Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Every Moment Worth It

It certainly has been a long while since I have written or even visited this blog. I wish that I could say that all is well and that the boys were all peachy keen, and perfect angels. Of course they are angels :), but they are little kids and boys none the less, so their little horns do come out every once in a while. By that I mean daily!

Elijah is in Kindergarten and he is a busy little kid if I have ever seen one. He has so much homework to do, nightly. I never knew that a kindergartner had so much to do and learn. But there are plenty of standards that the children have to meet and/or exceed. Elijah started the year off a little bit rough, could not focus too well, and his work was a reflection of this.After more testing, a lot of talking, a lot of thinking, I decided to allow Elijah to start medication. Although I was apprehensive regarding medicating my child, I figured that he deserved a chance. He was struggling in school, and Kindy is, of course, the foundation to the next 12 years of his life. I did not want take the chance of prohibiting him from going on the path in which he needs to go.

So since Oct (I think) he has been on Ritalin. And to be brutally honest it was scary the first day, he had a huge headache, and had a belly ache. I was so scared and could not keep my eye off of him for a moment.The next day he sat at the dining room table and colored from 9am till 1:30pm. WOW!!!!! It has been up hill since that day. There are still days where the active Elijah overtakes the focused Elijah, but even those days are not that bad.
He is doing AMAZING in school. I had a parent teacher conference the week before his spring break, and I was flabbergasted what I found out. I saw the types of reading materials and to my amazement they were on a lower level than we have been reading at home. At home Elijah is reading Dr. Seuss kind of books, at school there are a lot less words and a lot less story.

We are working at home on spelling, writing, reading, and math. He repeatedly informs me that he is going to be a Mythbuster or a Firefighter. As well he tells me, daily, that he loves math and science. I sure hope so, because his mommy sucks at it.
I could not be any prouder of him. I truly love this boy and am so grateful to have such a wonderful son!!

Peyton is a dear, he is the sweetest, most kind child I have ever had the privilege of knowing. And I know a lot of children :) There is not a day that goes by that he does not ask how one of his cousins or aunts or uncles are doing. And despite my mother being a horrible grandparent, he adores and loves her with immense emotion.

I am watching him play with Tristin, a little boy his age, who lives across the street from us. Tristin fell off of his bike and Peyton was the only child to help him get up AND help him stand his bike back up. That little boy is extremely mean to him, and often makes him cry.

Peyton is such a smart little cookie, I am so sooo soo sooo proud of him. He never stops talking, and his is incredibly creative and inventive. He is a bright, goofy, handsome little three year old with so much potential. Elijah often gets upset with his little brother because Peyton loves and adores him and wants nothing more than Eli's approval.

They get along as well as a five and three year old set of boys could possible get along. Could be worse, could be better. They tend to fight over simple things, and stick together during the big things. They can team up very well, and can be persuasive. Elijah and Peyton somehow managed to cut out Steak N Shake coupons (for grilled cheese sandwiches, fries and a drink all for 2.99) and convinced us to take them there. The highlight of their efforts was when they pulled money out of their pockets and told us that they could buy it themselves.

We did take them to Steak N Shake, and they had a ball ordering their own food, getting their own bill and paying for it with their money, and they even left a small tip. I loved experiencing that with them, seeing that my teaching them generosity, persistence, and need for a good milk shake, was not in vain!

My world has changed since I became a mother; the ups, downs, in betweens, stresses, laughs, tickles, arguments, debates, sleepless nights and hugs, makes every moment worth it.

No comments: